If you don't have your own copy. I've linked them for you.
1 Nephi 5:1-5
What is happening?
Sariah is complaining against Lehi, many trials are occurring.
How does he respond?
"But behold, I have obtained a land of promise."
Did Lehi have any idea that he and his family would spend eight years in the wilderness?
He only knew that he had been promised a choice land, and that he must obey to get there.
The Lord tells them in advance that, "mountain waves shall dash upon [them]."
He also promises: "Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth."
"And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come."
great deep/sea/waters = life
winds/waves/floods = trials/afflictions
stones of light = light of Christ within us
promised land = eternal life
"And it came to pass that the Lord God caused that there should be a furious wind blown upon the face of the waters, 1 towards the promised land."
"And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind."
"And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, 2 their vessels being tight like unto a dish ... therefore when they were encompassed about, they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters."
I can't help but think the Lord must have prepared us for crossing the great deep of life in much the same way. He definitely let us know that our decision to come to live on earth would be a trying one, that the "storms of life" would rage around us. Within the Gospel he has shown us how to make our "vessels tight like unto a dish," and has not suffered that we should take our journey without light; the Holy Ghost, and more basically, the light of Christ, provides us with the light and knowledge we need.
1) The wind did never cease to blow them upon the face of the waters
2) They did not cease" to praise the Lord
3) No monster of the sea could break them; no whale could mar them
4) They had light continually
5) 344 days was the duration of the trip
-Compare to the Voyage of Nephi and Family-
1) The Liahona stopped working when their faith dwindled. Their progress was halted.
2) When faith was rekindled, the Lord provided for them
3) Both parties began to till and prepare things as soon as they landed.
4) The Jaredites had continual light and "peace." (Christ's peace) Lehi and family did not
1. Our faith in God's plan for us is essential. Though the Jaredites were constantly beset by trials (ie: waves, winds, water...), they remained faithful and all their afflictions worked together for their good.
2. Alma 60:23
We need to make our vessel=bodies "tight like unto a dish"
tight: fixed, fastened, or closed firmly; hard to move, undo, or open.